Emma Miloyo, practicing Architect and partner at Design Source Kenya, will be participating in the first panel of the ACE-UIA International Conference on Design Competitions, 25 October 2019, UNESCO headquarters, Paris.
Emma Miloyo has vast experience in the building industry in the East and Central Africa region. She was the first female President of the Architectural Association of Kenya was recognized as one of “Top 40 under 40 Women in Kenya” in 2011 and 2018 by the Nation Media Group’s Business Daily. Emma is an Eisenhower Fellow (2015).
Emma graduated from Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) with first-class honours in architecture, the first woman to do so. She is passionate about the built environment and is also very enthusiastic about preserving Kenya’s architectural heritage. Emma has participated as a jury member on various architectural competitions including, East Africa Property Awards, Headquarters for the Medical Practitioners and Dentists’ Board and is behind the revival of the AAK Awards of Excellence in Architecture. She has served as a member on various boards and committees including:
- Co-Author “Building in Kenya, A Real Estate Developers’ Toolkit “
- Co-Founder, Women in Real Estate (WIRE).
- Konza City ( 2012-2015).
- Board of Registration of Architects and Quantity Surveyors, BORAQS ( 2012-2015).
- Steering Committee on Buildings of Architectural and Historical Significance.
- Vice President, East Africa Institute of Architects (2015-2016).
- Ex-Bomarian Education Trust Fund – a scholarship fund that supports the education of girls in need at The Kenya High School. The fund also provides career guidance for high school students.
Emma’s lifelong ambition is to inspire young women and help them break the glass ceiling that has limited their success, especially in male-dominated fields like architecture. She is a Director at Kiota School where her passion for education and nurturing of young minds extends.