Following the UIA General Assembly in Seoul in September 2017, a new permanent UIA Commission has been established to deal with sustainability, based on the United Nations 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
This UIA Commission on the United Nations 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) will focus on:
- the response of architects to each of the 17 goals in the form of policy statements, examples of projects that solve the problems,
- the visible and active presence of UIA at the COPs and other important UN meetings or discussions wherever they are in the world,
- influencing the decision-making bodies about the importance of architecture in the shaping of well-functioning sustainable societies of 2030,
- the establishment of a platform for exchange of existing knowledge and experience for members of the UIA,
- the communication by using all available means of the UIA to promulgate the policy statements of the architects.
Co-Directors are Natalie Mossin (Nordic Section) and Ishtiaque Zahir Titas (Bangladesh).