Professional Practice Commission
The Professional Practice Commission (PPC) sustains and implements “The UIA Accord on International Standards of Professionalism in Architectural Practice”. The Accord is intended to guide member section professionals, governments and lawmakers in the promotion of the global mobility of architects.
Adopted by the UIA General Assembly in Beijing in 1999, the Accord contains 18 policy statements and 14 fully developed guidelines. The commission continuously reviews the current relevance of the standards of practice, and develops new documents that are reviewed and adopted by the UIA Council on a regular basis. The updated document is adopted by the UIA General Assembly at the conclusion of each Triennium.
The PPC has relaunched the UIA Architectural Practice Around the World (APAW) database to better respond to the needs of the Union’s Member Sections and architects around the world. The database will provide valuable information concerning architectural practice in UIA Member Sections. It will be based on seven main categories for each country:
- General statistics on the architectural profession in the country
- International Practice, information about relevant aspects of international ventures
- Licensure Requirement, detailing continuing professional development, education and internship carry
- Practice, detailing the activities architects can carry out, their liability or the insurances they need
- Procurement, referring to the methods to obtain commissions or the way to calculate fair compensation
- Education, dealing with standards, internship, examinations and titles
- Regulation, regarding code of ethics, intellectual property, registration
UIA Member Sections are invited to complete this database using a login and password sent directly to their email address.